Saturday, January 26, 2013

Life at home

We have had two doctor's appointments since we left the hospital, and Micah is doing great! He was 8 lbs 2 oz at birth, and when he was discharged from the hospital on Sunday, he had dropped to 7 lbs 8 oz. By Tuesday's pediatrician visit, he was up to 7 lbs 11 oz. The following Wednesday he tipped the scales at 8 lbs 12 oz., and he measured 21.5 inches--an inch more than his birth length. He still sleeps a lot, so we love it when he's awake, alert, and happy. He usually wakes up twice at night to eat, about 1:00 and 5:00. He has a long wakeful period in the late morning and an even longer time in the evening. So far, he has adapted really well to life in the Gorham household. The only problem that has me worried is his dislike of riding in the double stroller! I've only tried taking Levi and Micah for a walk twice, and Micah screamed practically the whole time. Levi kept looking at him like, "What is your problem?" That was kind of funny, but it's upsetting that the only form of exercise I'm allowed to do is walk, and I can't really walk with a screaming baby. Hopefully he'll grow out of this phase soon because I am planning on using that jogging stroller a lot!

Here are some photos of Micah during the past week.
Ethan and Garret were finally able to come over and meet Micah (with Stephanie, of course).

 Such good cousins!

Grandpa Garret stopped by for a morning visit. 
Micah decided to sleep in a crunched up little ball.
My dad had actually stopped by on his way to the hospital in Olympia.  My grandfather, Harold, has been either there or in nursing care for several weeks.  On Wednesday he was given just hours or days to live.  On Thursday morning, I packed up the boys and went to see Grandpa one last time.  Although it was a short visit, I'm so glad I got to visit with Grandma.  Grandpa's room was crowded with us, my dad, Aunt Maureen and cousin Marcus.  It was poignant to bring my 13-day old baby to Grandpa's bedside.  Apparently Levi, who walked around the hallways with my dad while the rest of us were talking, was making friends with all the nurses on duty.  What a charmer!

For over a year, I've been taking Levi over to Bob's house on Thursdays.  We have lunch together
and a nice visit with Stephanie and her boys.  Now Micah gets to enjoy the company as well! 
Here the four boys posed for a picture with Grandpa.

Before his first real bath - quiet and content

During the bath - not so happy

After the bath - much better.
We loved his fuzzy hair!

 Pretty cute, right?
P.S. Grandpa died on Saturday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. New life another chapter. Such a beautiful baby and wonderful family. Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather,Jennifer. I'm so very glad that you took the boys to the hospital. A blessing for your Grandmother for sure. Love Auntie Jill